Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Daddy-son mornings

I'm into week 2 of being the only caregiver from 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. every weekday.

Erin and I decided to take advantage of our unique work schedules (I work nights, she works days) and forgo day care to save nearly 600 bucks a month. The downside to this deal was that I would have to go in to work even later. My regular hours were from 2 to 11, but Erin doesn't get home until 4:15ish. Luckily my supervisor was understanding of our situation and is allowing me to come in at 5. However, that means I now don't get home until 2 a.m.

I knew this new work schedule was going to be rough as Jacob wakes up around 6 and then I'm on my own by 7:30, but it's been worth the lack of sleep. A note: On most days he's has been taking a two-hour morning nap, of which I take great advantage.

Since becoming Mr. Morning Mom, I have learned to control my frustration when he bellows a piercing cry, I have developed my own successful technique to put him to sleep, I've witnessed developmental milestones and, most of all, I am forming a special bond with him.

I'm not gonna lie, it's been tough. But I've realized the hardships come with the experience and hopefully will help make me a better dad.

I wouldn't trade these memories for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment